Contributor Guidelines and Comment Policy
Natural Parents Network is looking for writers who have a story to share related to any natural parenting topic. Please contact us to discuss possible post ideas or to submit a post for consideration.
Click on each topic to see more:
What Is/Is Not Accepted: Content
- Posts should be previously unpublished and on topic (see below for examples of acceptable topics). Issues related to parenting are often rife with strong emotions, and we encourage your authentic and passionate words. At the same time, we hope that Natural Parents Network will be a place where people who are investigating natural parenting principles can learn something new and perhaps even adopt some of the practices. With this in mind, your post should be written in a positive light. We will not host posts that criticize other parenting practices or cast judgment on those that parent differently. We believe that we can respect each other (even where we don’t agree with another’s choices), and that we can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
- While contributors to Natural Parents Network maintain the copyright to all their work, we ask that you not post your submission anywhere else (including your own blog) whether paid or unpaid, for 90 days after publication on Natural Parents Network. This exclusivity adds value for our readers without our asking you to give us copyright on your work.
- We are not accepting any advertising-related posts at this time (including affiliate codes, paid blogging, or referral links). If you have a product that is relevant to natural parenting families, and you would like to submit a product for a review/giveaway, please read our Advertising FAQ.
Formatting and Editing Requirements
- Posts are typically in the 300-600 word range, but that is a general guideline. Take as many (or as few) words as you need to tell your story, but consider breaking a really long post into multiple posts or even a “part 1” and “part 2” to keep readers coming back for more.
- Use shorter paragraphs (3-6 sentences each); your post will be easier to read.
- Organize your thoughts; use headings or lists when possible; be clear, concise, and straightforward.
- Proofread. Proofread twice. Now proofread one more time. Your post will be edited, but we reserve the right to send it back to you for further proofreading if it has a large number of spelling/grammatical errors. Please check out Copyblogger’s great resource on editing your own work.
- All posts must be accompanied by a mini-bio (about 2 sentences, you can link to your personal site) and a picture. The picture cannot be more than 500px in width, and you must either own or have permission to use the picture. If it is a stock/free image, please provide a name/link to the owner. Feel free to write anonymously, but we still require something for a bio and picture.
- We reserve the right to edit (and veto) all submissions (but we will never make a substantive change without discussing it with you first).
- Writers are expected to visit/subscribe to the post to check on any comments, timely respond to comments, etc. If the writer has any questions or problems with a comment, please let us know as soon as possible. All comments (including the writers’) should adhere to the comment policy.
(The following lists are not exclusive, if you have an idea that is not listed, let us know):
*Prepare for pregnancy, birth, and parenting
*Practice exclusive and full-term breastfeeding if possible, and feed with love and respect regardless of whether it is at the breast or with a bottle
*Respond with sensitivity
*Use nurturing touch (including babywearing and skin-to-skin contact)
*Ensure safe sleep, physically and emotionally (including bed sharing and co-sleeping, responsive nighttime parenting, and no “crying it out”)
*Provide consistent and loving care
*Practice gentle/positive discipline (with no physical punishment)
*Strive for balance in personal and family life.
Ages and Stages
*Preteens and teens
*Parents working inside or outside the home
*Unique family structure, such as blended families, adoptive families, single parent homes, and more.
Ecological Responsibility and Love of Nature
Holistic Health Practices
*No routine infant circumcision
*Health & healing, including alternative medicine
*Nutrition, including healthy eating and recipes
*At home and away from home
*Arts & crafts
*Advocacy and activism: lactivism, intactivism, going green, feminism, and other topics of interest
*News and current events of interest to NP families
*Practical home help: cleaning, organization, finances
- Basics: Once your comment is posted, it becomes the property of Natural Parents Network. We can edit, format, reuse or delete the comment as we wish, or display it for as long as we wish. We will not necessarily offer reasons or any warning why we have altered or deleted a comment.
- Your comment will be held for moderation. We will manually approve your comment as soon as we can and apologize for the delay.
- Email Addresses: Correct email addresses are required. Email addresses will never be published. Email addresses will not be shown in comments. Please leave your correct email address so we have the ability to reply to your comment via email.
- What is not acceptable: We encourage thoughtful, mature debate on everything we post. That does not include profanity, poor spelling and grammar, personal attacks, off-topic comments, hostility disguised by sarcasm, and spam.
- It is our desire to host a thoughtful, encouraging community for parents who practice natural parenting and/or are interested in the natural parenting philosophy. If you find yourself disagreeing with most of the content here, there are many other websites/communities where you might feel more comfortable. And remember, you can always take what works for you and your family and leave the rest.