As a mother of five, three of whom are sensitive to all sorts of foods, I really appreciate simple recipes for foods that are both healthy and enjoyable. Gluten free pancakes are not the same as those made with wheat, but I have come to enjoy these really simple oatmeal pancakes. Maybe some others will, too.
Makes 5 medium pancakes.
- 1 cup oat flour (grind about a cup or so of rolled oats in a blender; choose gluten free oats if you are gluten intolerant)
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted butter, earth balance spread, rice bran oil, or other cooking oil
- 1 – 2 tablespoons honey, maple syrup, applesauce, or other sweetener
- Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients in small bowl.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan to medium or medium-low heat. I have made them on a dry pan and an oiled pan, it doesn’t make much of a difference.
- Gradually mix the wet ingredients into the dry as you heat the griddle. Stir until well mixed and allow to stand for a couple of minutes.
- Pour about 1/4-1/3 cup per pancake and allow to cook until edges become dry and top is well bubbled. Flip when they look almost dry, but not burned. Allow second side to cook until steam reduces (a couple of minutes).
Enjoy with your favorite topping, plain, or as a slice of “bread” for a gluten free sandwich.