Who doesn’t enjoy quinoa? A perfect protein that doubles as a comfort food, I think it’s a food that can’t be beat! So when stuffed peppers sounded like the perfect supper idea, I decided to play around a bit with the recipe and it’s become a meal that we all love and no one complains about being hungry 20 minutes after we eat. And in a home where my children eat like hobbits, anything that fills them up is a success!
This recipe is different in that the sauce is more like a Sloppy Joe, but it’s comforting and is a quick, week-night supper. The filling freezes well and can be pulled out to stuff peppers whenever you happen on a good harvest!
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4-6 bell peppers (depending on size and how full you want to have them stuffed)
- 1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup ketchup (I use homemade ketchup because it isn’t as thick as storebought and makes a saucier filling.)
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- Slices of Munster cheese for topping the peppers
- Cook the quinoa while you brown the meat.
- Add in the remaining ingredients (except the cheese) and cook until the meat is done and the onions tender.
- Stir in the quinoa.
- Chop the tops off the peppers and spoon the the filling. Use the pepper tops as a snack for your 3 year old who is, by this time, starving.
- Place a slice of cheese on top of each pepper.
- Bake the peppers at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and the cheese is bubbly and brown.