Whether the reason is germs and sickness or terrible weather, it can be very challenging to be stuck in the house with little ones. If you want to avoid television and the computer as mindless ways to pass the time, try some of these suggestions to bring some added fun to a dreary day. I’ve linked to one or two resources below each suggestion to provide you with plenty of inspiration!
1. Sensory tables
– TUTORIAL : How to Make Rainbow Coloured Rice (Without Alcohol) for a Toddler Activity Sensory Bin
– Homemade Moon Sand
2. Art projects
– Montessori Spring Goodies
– A Fun & Easy Car Craft for Car Loving Toddlers
3. Cook and bake with kids.
– An Easy, Healthy, Whole Wheat Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
– A Veggie Muffin Recipe for Toddlers
– Make Your Own Jigsaw Puzzles
5. Busy bags
– 12 Fun Busy Bag Ideas
6. Make music.
– Beyond Twinkle, Twinkle – Using Music with Infants and Toddlers
7. Dance parties
– Dash’s Dance Party (I know I said no TV or computer, but this is a fun resource for getting little ones into dancing!)
8. Play with snow in the bathtub.
– 5 Things to Play on a Cold Wet Day
– Action songs and lyrics
10. Hide and seek
– Fun Ways to Play Hide and Go Seek
– Storyland Yoga DVD
12. Read books
– The Best Car and Truck Books for Two and Three Year Olds
– The Top 5 Books That My One Year Old Loves Right Now
13. Make your own books.
– Making books with children
14. Build with blocks.
– Blocks of Fun! 40 Block Activities for Kids
– 25 Easy Pretend Play Ideas
– 100 Ways to Keep Little Kids Happy
16. Take pictures.
– 13 Lessons to Teach Your Child About Digital Photography
– Teaching photography to a 5-year-old
17. Garden indoors.
– Five Easy Indoor Gardening Projects for Kids
18. Scavenger hunts
– Texture scavenger hunt and collage
19. Mail cards and letters to family and friends.
– 20 Card Making Ideas for Kids
– Card Crafts for Kids
20. Enlist the help of your pets.
– Indoor Games for People and Dogs
– 4 Healthy Games To Play With Your Cat
What are your family’s favorite things to do when you’re stuck in the house?